Thursday, February 14, 2013

Threesome: Caught in Christ's Net


“Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.” Luke 5:3

James:  Peter, what were you thinking when you saw Jesus get into your boat?

Peter: I don’t remember. I was busy with the nets, just like you. I wasn’t thinking about him at all.

James: That’s my point! There you are, getting the nets in order with the rest of us, and he comes along. So you drop everything to attend to him. Didn’t that bother you?

Peter: Like I said, I never thought about it. Why are you bothering me? You do what he tells you to do just like I do. Why ask me about him? 

John. Don’t get mad, Peter. James is not attacking you. We’re trying to figure out our answer to that same question:  why do we do what he wants, just like you do?

Peter: I’m not mad.  Well, maybe I am. I’m mad at… at the question, because, well, I don’t know the answer. Believe me, I’ve thought about it.

James: You have?

Peter: Of course. There were other boats along the shore, and other guys cleaning and fixing their nets. He had a nodding acquaintance with all of them, so why pick me? He knew me, but he didn’t know me any better than he knew anyone else.

John: So, think about it: first he gets into your boat, and then he asks you to move him back from the shore a little so he can talk to everyone.  Did that irritate you?

Peter: Yes! Yes it did. I remember thinking that he was trying to push me around and act like my boss. I felt like telling him I was busy, and he could row himself out a little if he wanted.

James:  So, why didn’t you? In fact, why didn’t you tell him to get out of your boat, or tell him he had no right to get in it to begin with?

Peter: My mouth couldn’t say those words to him! I suppose I would have said that to anyone else who tried to take over my boat and use it, but no, I didn’t dare do that with him.John: Why not?

Peter: I don’t know. Maybe it was the way he spoke to me and looked at me. I mean, he was in the boat already. And he was polite enough in asking me to move him offshore a little. It didn’t sound like he was being demanding or anything like that. In fact, if I had said to him, ‘Do it yourself’, or ‘Hey, find another boat’, I think he would have done that.

John: Another thing, in addition to talking to you: you said it was the way he looked at you. How did he look at you?

Peter:  With those eyes that see right through you. Know what I mean? 

John: Oh yes. What did you feel when he was looking at you?

Peter: I don’t know. It… made me feel uncomfortable but…it felt good too. I didn’t feel afraid. In fact, I felt like he was doing me a favor by asking me to get in the boat with him. Isn’t that weird? Why should I feel like that? I wouldn’t have felt that way with one of you instead of him.

James: We know what you mean. His eyes are like everyone else’s, but the way they see into you is so different, right? It’s indescribable. I mean, the effect he has when he looks us in the eye, there’s no way to explain that, right John?

John (nodding): That’s why we were asking you about it, Peter, to see if you noticed it too.

Peter: Yes, I noticed it. I just don’t like to talk about it!

James:  Why not? John and I talk about him all the time.

Peter: Well, Andrew and I discuss it sometimes too.

James: John says he can see into our souls.

John: And his looking into us is penetrating, right? But it doesn’t feel like an invasion. He’s not trying to intimidate us or show us he is he is more powerful than we are.  His looking is a caring.

Peter:  I know, I know. But I don’t like it. 

John: Why?

Peter: I’m not sure. I guess his look makes me feel like running away and hiding. When he is looking into me and through me, I feel like I don’t measure up. I just want to get away from him. 

John: But once you let him look in, you are hooked right?

Peter: I guess! The more I think about it the less I understand it. I can’t refuse him anything, even when I want to tell him to leave me alone and let me be! You know what I thought when he told me ‘to put out into deep water’? I thought I should never have let you into the boat.

James: That’s funny! Even though you were still at the shore, you were in deep water as soon as you started dealing with him! Hah! 

Peter: Don’t laugh! You’re over your head when you’re dealing with him too.

John:  We’re not laughing at you, we’re laughing with you!  You’re right! The same thing happens to us! We’re over our heads in deep water even when we stand with him on land! It’s normal. Look, it also happened a second time to you right after the first.

Peter: Huh? How?

John:  Well, when he asks you to push off shore a little so he can talk to everyone, your first impulse is to say no, but you say yes. Next he tells you to set out for deeper waters to fish, and you want to say no, and you even tell him that you have been fishing all night, but in the end you go and do it anyway!

Peter:  You’re right. I don’t know why I let him take me over like that.  It does work out for the better for me when I do, but I still don’t like it. 

James: It’s weird, isn’t it? Why do we feel that way, even when we are better off for it?

John: I think it is because our pride is hurt, and because it shows we are not independent and in control, even though we think we are. 

Peter:  I think that’s right. It hurts my pride to see how superior he is. But there is something more that I am starting to see.

James: What’s that?

Peter: How I felt after I pulled in all those fish.  I felt a rush of different things. I was thrilled, surprised, ashamed, confused, I wanted to jump out of the boat and swim away, and at the same time I wanted to fall at his feet and ask him to forgive me.  I wanted to disappear so I wouldn’t have to face him again, and I wanted him to hug me and tell me he wasn’t mad at me. And you know what? He knew all that was going on in me.  He looked at me and said: Don’t be afraid. I felt there was nothing I could hide from him, and suddenly it didn’t matter, because I didn’t need to hide anything anymore.

John laughing: We’re all in the same boat! His, not ours!


No comments:

Post a Comment