Sunday, December 9, 2012

Flannery O'Connor: on Mystery and the Educated Mind

"The type of mind that can understand good fiction is not necessarily the educated mind, but is at all times the kind of mind that is willing to have its sense of mystery deepened by contact with reality, and its sense of reality deepened by its contact with mystery."  Flannery O'Connor

I came across that quote some time ago as I was reading Heather King's blog, Shirt of Fire. My face lit up  with delight and the thought ran through my mind: I have to put that in my blog. It sounds just like something Giussani would say. I don't know if Fr. Giussani ever read Flannery, but I'm sure he would have loved her if he did. They both have the type of mind that sees reality in relationship to mystery, and mystery in relationship to reality. It must come from life long practice, because it sure isn't an ego skill like being a professional writer or theologian or a teacher, but a faith virtue that is ingrained in disciples by  following their Master. Since Christ Himself is the right relationship between all of reality and the Mystery of  God His Father,  and since Christ lives that relationship in our human flesh,  our following Him in faith gives us in the correct perspective towards God and man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment