Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cardinal Newman on "Providence and the Cross"

"Lord, we know not what is good for us

Or what is bad.

We can't foretell the future. Nor do we know when you come to visit us

 In what form you will come. 

Therefore we must leave it all to you. 

Do you, in your good pleasure, come to us, 

And be with us.

 Let us ever look upon you, 

And do you look upon us, and  

Give us the grace of your bitter cross and passion, 

And console us in your own way 

And at your own time."

I found this quotation among several others I had copied out from some edition of Cardinal Newman's works years ago. The note I had penciled to myself on the side said: Remember to pray this as a way to heal your egocentricity. It was good advice back then. It is good advice now.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. But the truth is I have zero trust that this in fact the case. I go through my day with constant anxiety. Why is that? Why can't I let go and let God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why you specifically cannot. I know what helped me a great deal. It was the friendship and fellowship of other Christians, clergy and lay, who lived what they believed. They had a peace and joy about them that rubbed off on me the more I was with them.None of them was trying to do therapy on me or manipulate me or make me feel good. They were just being who they were, followers of Christ, who found peace and joy in following Him. I think that through them I began to experience His Presence. Before that, I think I was too focused on myself, too wrapped up in my own moods and feelings. Once you start experiencing the Presence of Christ as real, trust in Him is real too. Why not spend time before the Real Presence in the Blessed Sacrament, and ask for the grace to be aware of His Presence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For more from Newman on trust in God, read the posting for October 27.

      Delete